Our Need for Personal Information
“Personal Information” means any information about an identifiable individual. In order to be able to assist you as a client, we need access to all relevant facts and information that relate to your financial situation. This information will necessarily include Personal Information about you and about other individuals.
We do not, except where otherwise permitted by law, collect, use or disclose Personal Information unless you are aware of the purposes for which the information will be used or disclosed, and have given your consent to such use or disclosure.
Where practical, we try to collect Personal Information directly from the person to whom the information relates. When necessary, we will collect Personal Information from other sources. We limit our collection of Personal Information to include only what is necessary to assist you as a client. In the course of providing services to you we may be required to obtain information or assets from third parties, for example credit checking organizations.
Use and Disclosure
We limit our use of Personal Information to those purposes which have been disclosed to you, or for purposes which are otherwise permitted by law. We use and disclose Personal Information in compliance with all applicable federal and provincial privacy legislation.
Specifically, we use and disclose Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- If you decide to enter into a formal proposal with the assistance of a Licensed Insolvency Trustee (“LIT”), we will provide certain documents containing personal and financial information to the LIT. The LIT will file this information with the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy, a federal government agency, to initiate protection for you under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (the “Act”). It will be necessary to notify your creditors of your legal status as a debtor under the provisions of the Act. They will also have access to certain documents, including your Statement of Affairs.
- If you agree for us to provide you with financial coaching which includes consulting about financial literacy, recovering from financial hardship and other financial services, or if we believe your situation would be better served by dealing with another service provider, we may provide your financial information to a related company or selected arms’ length affiliates who may provide or offer to provide certain financial services or products to you in order to help rebuild your credit profile or to access financial products and services.
- When the law requires us to disclose it. We will notify you when we are asked to provide your Personal Information in this way unless we are legally prohibited from doing this. When we do receive this type of request, we will only release your Personal Information if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. Nothing in this Policy is intended to limit any legal defenses or objections that you may have to a third party’s request to disclose your information.
Security of Personal Information
We recognize our obligation to protect your Personal Information. This includes our obligation to protect the Personal Information we have gathered about you and about other individuals as part of providing our services. We have therefore put in place security measures to secure against the unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or destruction of your Personal Information.
Accuracy and Access
When working with you, we highlight the importance of providing us with accurate and complete information. You can always request access to the Personal Information we have collected about you.
We retain your Personal Information as long as necessary to provide the services that you require and in accordance with relevant legislation.
Storage of Information Online
Your personal information may be stored and accessed outside of Canada, in which case it will be subject to the laws of that foreign jurisdiction. You may contact Reset Debt Solutions Privacy Officer for further information about how and where you personal information may be stored and accessed.
Site Specific Information
- When you visit the Site, your IP address will be tracked by Reset Debt Solutions
- Some of the resources on the Site require you to submit personal information through the Site including an on-line application for loan products and services
- We also use ‘cookies” in order to track users of the Site (a cookie is a file sent by a website and stored on your computer)
- We use information about the use of its Site for statistical and survey purposes to improve the Site
- We use standard web server log files, to help us count visitors, improve our Site and evaluate our Site’s technical capacity
When a user applies or submits their contact information using our website the information we collect will be used to contact the user. Financial information we collect from users will be used to evaluate the user’s eligibility to obtain financial services. The information provided to us by users may be shared with other financial service partners to process the user’s information on our behalf. Information is only disclosed to partners that have been bound by confidentiality obligations.
We take all precautions to protect every user’s information. The information submitted to us by users is protected and available only to our customer care agents or service representatives, who are trained and up to date on current security and privacy practices.
We only collect information required to qualify users for the financial services they request. Our goal is to minimize intrusiveness and maximize the protection of your personal information. We may use data obtained from your application in order to advertise or promote products and services to you that we believe may be beneficial to you.
When you provide your personal information through the Reset Debt Solutions website, you are consenting, acknowledging and agreeing to the disclosure of your personal information with potential providers of loans (or different services, such as insolvency services, dependent on your request) and other lead providers (companies who help connect potential borrowers and lenders by selling potential borrowers’ personal information to lenders). If you do not provide this information, Reset Debt Solutions will not be able to provide your contact information and other details to those potential lenders and lead providers. Be aware that the lenders and lead providers with whom you are matched may retain or use your personal information whether or not you use their services and you should contact these lenders and lead providers directly concerning their privacy and information sharing practices which may differ from Reset Debt Solutions. You can access your personal information stored by us or withdraw your consent to the collection and use of your information by contacting the Privacy Officer. You can submit any request related to consent withdrawal or the removal of personal information from our database directly by contacting us via our Contact Us page, or by calling us directly at 1-800-784-7991. Please allow up to 72 business hours for your consent withdrawal to be serviced in full.
By entering your e-mail address and other contact details in your online application and by clicking the privacy checkbox in the application form, you consent to Reset Debt Solutions and/or our other partners contacting you by phone, mail, text message or e-mail to:
- send you promotional offers, including third party offers;
- assist you in completing your online application to their satisfaction;
- confirm and verify your personal information and identity; and
- determine why you have failed to complete the application form (for example, if there were technical or other issues);
Furthermore, by providing your personal information on this website, you have asked us to put you in touch with potential lenders or service providers. Please note, e-mails sent from Reset Debt Solutions are sent from its own web/e-mail servers, or, Zoho.com. We reserve the right to use your given (first) name for demonstration purposes, in the form of a pop-up on www.resetdebt.ca.
Contacting or Communicating with Us
If you have any questions with respect to our policies concerning the handling of your Personal Information, or if you wish to request access to, or correction of your Personal Information under our care and control, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Reset Debt Solutions
170 – 422 Richards Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2Z4
Attention: Privacy Officer
If you are dissatisfied with our handling of your Personal Information, we invite you to contact our Privacy Officer in writing, setting out the reasons for your concern.